Wednesday, December 30, 2009

New Year's Resolutions








New Years is always a time to reflect ones past with grand ideas for the coming year. Often these grandiose ideas last only a short period of time only to fall back on ones old ways. I have never set out a New Years resolution to reduce weight despite past efforts of focused nutritional awareness. I would rather focus on what I need to do to make a healthy lifestyle change that is sustainable for longer than 10 weeks, but we all know that it starts by putting one foot in front of the other.



I signed up for the 10 in 10 in 10 challenge and am coming to this new community thinking that this virtual world of runners might encourage and inspire me. Though I don't know any of you fellow runners, I always pick up some nuggets from reading fellow runner's blog. I stumbled onto this challenge quite by chance. I had exclusively listened to Steverunner's Phedippidations for several years. I took Steve's suggestion to listen to other members of the run net community, and now am a regular subscriber to Nigel's podcast, Running From the Reaper, as well as many others from the run net community, even creating a Twitter acct with my first blog entry here. Similar to you, I plan to use this to track my progress as a runner along the rocky coast of Maine.


I am not sure where this will take me but it will be an adventure - with ups and downs. I ran my fifth marathon this past fall and reduced my marathon PR from 3:53 to 3:26. I plan to run a spring marathon in May 2010 and know that running with less weight is always a good thing so the timing couldn't be better.


Success Criteria for the 10 in 10 challenge:
1. I plan to use the "Loseit" application - daily diary (I'm driving my wife crazy since I started this application three days ago) but writing one's food intake creates little voices in my head, saying "Are you sure you want those three Hershey Kisses?"
2. Drink more water - this is my downfall - I drink too much Diet soda and would like to replace soda with water - this will be hard for me.
3. Continue to run - previous marathons running 30-40 MPW, this past marathon with a PR I was running 50-60 MPH and saw dramatic improvement. Run with a purpose; not just jog.
4. Continue meeting my virtual friends through this and other mediums who I have already found to have (1) new insights, (2) similar experiences. and (3) incredible motivating.


Good luck on your journey.


Savor the journey to the finish line!


Brendan
@mainerunnah

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I'm with you in needing and enjoying the motivation from this great on-line community! Add to your list of podcasts (if you haven't already) The Extra Mile--it's my personal favorite (followed closely by Phedip and Running from the Reaper). Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete