Saturday, January 2, 2010

There is no 'Off Season' in Running

As we hit the heart of winter with snow arriving here in Maine, the effort to get out and train gets harder and harder.  After running the Baystate Marathon in October 2009, my greatest fear was to loose the fitness that I gained during the training leading up to this event.  It has been over 8 weeks since the marathon and have managed to keep the running constant, but not at the level that I once was at (50-60 MPW), nor at the level that I would like to be at (30- 40MPW).  To maintain a runner's fitness, there is no 'off-season' and I feel that without consistency, you will loose your fitness...and lose it fast.

I am still sorting out my plans for a spring marathon for 2010 and need to come to some decisions quickly. The Sugarloaf Marathon is a fast marathon (other than the 2 mile gradual ascent in the early part of the race).  I ran this marathon in 2007.  The Vermont City Marathon is a race that I have always wanted to always had family obligations.  It appears to have a decent size grade called the 'Assault on the Battery' that  arrives ~ mile 15.   I have heard so many great things about the VCM but I am balancing also with where I will be fitness wise for a BQ.  Realistically, I think a fall marathon would be better attempt for a BQ given the uncertainty to train in the winters in Maine.

Best thing is get out and run.

Run start: 5:14AM
Run Distance: 11 miles @ 8:55/mile pace
Temps: 22F (snow)
Podcast: RunRunLive; Running with the Pack

Quote of the Day:  "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed."
Theodore Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment